Thursday, February 19, 2009

Teeth Around the Jugular...

"...& I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying, Come & see. & I saw...

& behold, a white horse...."

With my teeth wrapped around the boy's throat, a few things crossed my mind. The first, of course, was the simplest solution. End him. I didn't need to invade Justin's mind to know that's what he was thinking. "If the boy's hands can be forced--end him. He's a threat to all of us."

I could feel his pulse fluttering like a frantic bird against my tongue. So tempting to the beast inside me. Just clench a little tighter. & his blood would be so sweet. Salty & bitter sweet.

This blackness in the boy's eyes unnerved me. Dark chasms of death. I could see my own Death in those eyes. It was not a good death. It is not yet my time. I've much to do...

End it.

But I also saw a frightened child, trapped within the darkness. Caged within those eyes.

Could I save him? Should I even try?

So many lives are at stake--not only my own.

But what of eyes that smile? What of friendship? What of trust? Or faith?

Tony--my friend--trusts me. Believes in me. When so few do.

What is that worth?

So many questions...flickering like a candle flame. Dancing behind soft eyes...

& it all comes down to one thing right now, at this moment....

Bite down? Or release...?

All eyes are on me....


"...& I heard a voice...in the midst of the four beasts. & I looked, & behold. A pale horse.

& the name, it said on him--was Death. & Hell followed with him..."

No comments: